Here’s an updated list of how to honor those who put it all on the line for our freedom:
* 11 a.m. today – Chester County’s annual Veterans Day ceremony will be upstairs in the Chester County War Memorial, 154 Main St., Chester. In addition to speakers, a Junior ROTC troop will present the colors.
* 4 p.m. today – A special Veterans Day program will be presented by veterans Jay Randell and John Hill at the Clover Woman’s Club meeting. The meeting will be at 1245 Ole Cambridge Road, Clover. For more information, call Carolyn Pate, 222-1232, or Windy Bartee, 222-7533.
* 4 p.m. today – A Veterans of Foreign Wars honor guard will be on hand during a brief ceremony to restore the last of more than two dozen bronze flower vases stolen and vandalized this week at veterans graves in Bass-Cauthen Cemetery on Heckle Boulevard in Rock Hill. The public is invited.
* 8 p.m. today – The Volunteers of the United States Army Field Band is performing for free to celebrate Veterans Day. The performance will be 8 p.m. at the Clover School District Auditorium. Don’t miss all the music, from jazz and patriotic, to country and rock ‘n’ roll. Details, 222-8018.
* 10 a.m. Saturday – The York Veterans Day parade heads north on Congress Street from Jefferson Street to Madison Street, with a program at the end in the Whitesides Cleaners parking lot. Downtown York, free.
* Saturday, Nov. 13 – Experience living history at the Veterans Day Encampment at Kings Mountain National Park, near Blacksburg. Living History Interpreters from the Backcountry Militia will be camped at the park’s visitor center. Visit the militia encampment and enjoy weapons demonstrations throughout the event. The event at Kings Mountain National Military Park, 2625 Park Road, will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, call (864) 936-7921.
And don’t miss these free meals for veterans and active duty military in November: Meals
p.s. Thanks to Rena and to The Herald for updates!